Site of Arnold Tavern

Arnold Tavern was one of the most popular taverns in town. Built around 1800, the tavern served as a stagecoach stop and a social and business center for the town. The Tavern was located at the northern corner of Washington St. and Central Avenue The site is currently occupied by the Thayer Academy Center for the Arts.

Site of Arnold Tavern

History

The name of the tavern comes from Ralph Arnold, who purchased the property from Abraham Hobart in 1810. So central was the Tavern to Town affairs that the location of the first Town House (1829) was chosen with its close proximity to Arnold Tavern in mind. It was undoubtedly the most important tavern in Braintree. The Tavern stood as a private residence until the early 1900s.