Community Outreach Unit
Detective Lt. Michael Moschella is the supervisor of our criminal investigations division and oversees operations of Community Outreach Unit.
The officers of this unit are involved in the following programs:
- Internet Investigation - These officers investigate all computer related crimes, including but not limited to child pornography crimes, child solicitation, computer harassment, etc.
- R.A.D- THE RAPE AGGRESSION DEFENSE (R.A.D.) SYSTEM is a program of realistic self-defense tactics and techniques for women. The R.A.D. Course is a free comprehensive, women-only course that begins with awareness, prevention, risk education, and risk avoidance. After this, the system progresses to the basics of hands-on defense training. However, R.A.D. is not a martial arts program. Our courses are taught by Braintree Police Officers who are nationally-certified R.A.D. instructors.
- Triad - a group consisting of local law enforcement, sheriff’s department personnel and senior citizen volunteers. They work to initiate programs to further safety for senior citizens.
- Citizen Police Academy - gives citizens a close up look at police work, and involves them in a seven week course covering all topics of public safety
- College Student Internships - The Department’s Internship program works closely with local colleges to give students an important part of their curriculum.
- Crime Prevention Program - officers meet the residents in their neighborhoods, often in their homes, giving instruction on how to improve the safety of homes and neighborhoods.
- Junior Police Academy - This program helps develop the relationship between the Braintree Police and our youth. The program not only teaches the kids about how we perform our duties but also provides physical fitness and discipline.
- National Night Out - The officer’s work with other units to coordinate National Night Out held annually in August.
- Middle School Drug Education- Officers provide a two day program aimed at 7th graders about the risks of drugs, alcohol and peer pressure.
- Annually the Community Outreach Unit participates in multiple events throughout the town with safety tables, K-9 demonstrations and numerous other public relations activities