Proper location of smoke detectors differs with home style. Smoke detectors should be placed on each living level.
- For single family homes with a basement, the detector should be placed on the basement ceiling at the bottom of the stairs.
- On the first floor the detector should be placed at the base of the stairway leading to the second floor. If there are any sleeping areas on the first floor, a detector shall be installed outside the bedrooms.
- On the second floor a detector shall be installed outside the bedrooms.
- A smoke detector is required for the attic only if the home has a fixed stairway, not a pull down stairway. If the home has a garage under or an attached garage, a smoke detector should be installed on the ceiling at the interior door that leads to the garage.
- Detectors should always be mounted on the ceiling and not on walls.
Additional information is available at the fire station or on the Massachusetts State website.