If You're a Victim

  1. Call the Braintree Police Department. It is imperative that you call police as soon as the theft is discovered, this will generate a date and time stamped report that may help you dispute any charges made afterward. 
  2. Place an initial fraud alert on your credit reports. You need to contact only one of the three consumer reporting companies. The company you call is required to contact the other two. 
  3. Close the accounts that you know, or believe, have been tempered with or opened fraudulently.
  4. When you open new accounts, use new PINs and passwords.
  5. Ask each company for the appropriate forms to dispute fraudulent charges and/or debits.
  6. File a report with your local police department (see below for specific BC contact information).
  7. File a report with the Federal Trade Commission, http://consumer.gov/ncpw/category/identity-theft-privacy/ or 1-877-ID-THEFT.
  8. Keep detailed records of all correspondence and conversations with creditors, the FTC and local police departments.